Rating scale:

⭐️- Terrible. Not for me, wouldn’t read or even attempt to finish.

⭐️⭐️- Okay, bearable enough to finish.

⭐️⭐️⭐️- Good. A little more spice, but still mediocre.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- Wonderful! Thoroughly enjoyed, would recommend.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- Marvelous! Absolutely perfect, would recommend in a heartbeat.

September 2020 Reading Ladder

Vicious: Schwab, V. E.: 9781250160263: Books - Amazon.ca

Vicious– V.E Schwab [368/368 pages]
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Vicious was recommended to me by one of my closest friends as one of the best books ever written, and I know what you may be thinking. That’s a HUGE statement, and I thought so too, believe me. But after sinking my teeth into this magnificent novel, I had to totally agree. Vicious is a novel that tells the tale of two best friends, turned into archenemies who swear to kill the other one first. Backed up with supernatural abilities, both men are blinded by ambition and power- and will do anything to get their way. Our main characters consist of Victor, our protagonist with the power to inflict or take away pain to whomever he wishes, and Eli, our antagonist blessed with the power of regeneration gifted by god himself. (Or at least that’s what Eli believes) With such contrasting personalities, pasts and powers, the boys may seem far from connected. However, they are connected by one distinct aspiration The desire to kill one another, with whatever necessary.

The plot is amazing, as it sucks you in so quickly, and with every page turned, you begin to crave for more. Honestly, I was never the best reader and didn’t enjoy reading in my free time in the slightest. Although for some reason, I yearned for this novel and never wanted to put it down. Which honestly never happened to me before. The characters, details and almost every element of this book made me excited to read again, justifying my high rating of five stars. I wouldn’t change anything about this book, and I really hope that I can find a book like this again. Not particularly the same genre or theme, but more so the desire to never put it down once picked up.

A Walk to Remember (novel) - Wikipedia

A Walk To Remember– Nicholas Sparks [240/240 pages]
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A Walk To Remember is a romance novel revolving around our main characters, Landon Cartier and Jamie Sullivan. Despite their differences in social groups and in personality, both teens end up falling in love. This harmonious novel brings us into the life of Landon and takes us on a journey of love and heartbreak, and when I say heartbreak I mean heartbreak.

When I mentioned heartbreak, I truly meant it. I started crying in L.A class, wiping away my tears trying to read the next page. I still remember how blurry the words got the more I read, but what can I say, I’m a sucker for love. I don’t cry often, but having such a simple book with almost no story line made me heavily rely on the characters. Furthermore, since the story revolved around the characters so much more than any other element, I got attached to them fairly quickly. Making the tragedy seem so much more tragic, as I knew so much about the characters it was effecting. The author does an incredible job in doing this, and Spark’s use of foreshadowing made the bullet hurt even more. This was, surprisingly, my very first romance novel, and I’m satisfied to say that I enjoyed it very much.

Reflection:

For the month of September, I ended up reading about 35 pages a day. (608pg/17days= 35pg/day) I’m very proud of this rate, as it’s always been a struggle for me to grab and read a book. I knew that if I wanted to excel in L.A I would HAVE to read, but it was always so difficult. I never really wanted too, so even if I planned to read that day I ended up forgetting about it and began to set it off later and later. Gladly however, towards the end of last year, I did start reading at least 15 minutes a day. I started to develop a habit slowly, but surely. Then COVID-19 hit, washing away all of my progress with it. So it was very reassuring to get such a high reading rate, motivating me to keep it up, as it’s now been proven to be possible. Although I may blame the novel Vicious for the sudden increase of my reading rate, I know that I can’t rely on just cravings to want to read. I need to read, to read. No matter what book or medium, even if it may not interest me, I still have to read it. My goal for October is to keep up my reading rate, and create a habit of reading in my free time. I would also like to try different genres and styles, to see what truly works for me. Maybe some more romance perhaps? Or a bit of Harry Potter?

October 2020 Reading Ladder

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: Rowling, J.K.: 9781408855898:  Books - Amazon.ca

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone– J. K. Rowling [332/332 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is the first book in the notorious, seven book Harry Potter series. In this magnificent novel, we get introduced to a very peculiar boy who wore his long, black hair messy. Harry Potter was just a normal boy, living hell with his aunt and uncle. Living a simple, muggle life. Well, until a giant man named Hargrid saved the poor boy by taking him to the most prestigious wizarding school known to wizards. Harry quickly grasped the idea that he wasn’t such a normal lad, as his parents were two of the most respected wizards in this new world to Harry. In fact, his two parents didn’t just die from a car accident. No no, they died protecting Harry’s life from Voldemort: a cursed dark wizard, who practices the dark arts to kill and rule. Which he succeeded in doing, until he mysteriously disappeared after his confrontation with Harry. In the first novel, we explore life at Hogwarts with Harry Potter, Ron Weasley (my favourite character, if I do say so myself) and Hermine Granger. All students attending a not so normal wizarding school, divided up into four houses. The Slytherins, Griffindors, Ravenclaws, and the Hufflepuffs. 

As you may already know, the Harry Potter franchise has already exploded in terms of publicity. The series is famous, with multiple movies and a whole theme park dedicated to the novels. Which was basically the reason why I wanted to read it. Since everyone has basically already have. Although, the hype does not disappoint, as the novel is honestly so fascinating. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, especially Christmas day! Come on, who doesn’t love Christmas? As Harry celebrated Christmas day with all of the Weasley brothers, I couldn’t help but smile. I love all the characters, and each of their individual characteristics so much that every event that occurs to the characters always keeps me hooked. I love these guys, and I especially love the whole atmosphere and plot surrounding them. And who doesn’t love Ron? Another major factor that drove me to read Harry Potter had to be the different Houses, and the theme park: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, in Orlando Florida. First of all, we all have heard of the different houses in Harry potter, so I was super curious as to what house actually suits me. I must admit, I did get Ravenclaw the first time I took the test. However, I did take the test from Buzzfeed so it practically doesn’t count. Anyways, on my second attempt, with great satisfaction, I got Gryffindor! After I finish all the books, and of course after COVID-19 ends, I also really want to go to Harry Potter land! To see it all for myself! The streets of the wizarding world, Diagon Alley! The infamous street ready to supply and satisfy all of your wizarding needs; paved with all the cute shops selling all sorts of wands and other wizarding goodies. However, since it may be awhile before I actually get to go, I plan to savor every single page.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Rowling, J.K.: 8601404379192: Books  - Amazon.ca

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets– J. K. Rowling [384/384 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

In the second novel; Harry, Ron and Hermine all attempt to answer a series of intimidating questions. Who is the Slytherin heir that has supposedly opened the Chamber of Secrets? And why are classmates turning into stone? The second book explores all of these secrets, and eventually reveals most of the answers.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is also such an amazing novel, and I have to say that the suspense in the last couple of chapters was very entertaining. As I felt myself being drawn once again into this amazing fantasy, curious about every single detail up to the events leading up to the conclusion. I was very satisfied after completing this book, and I do plan to read the next one!

Reflection:

For the month of October, I ended up reading about 23 pages a day (716pg/31days=23pg/day). I am honestly pleased with my reading rate this year, but I do plan to hopefully make it higher next month. Last month, I was content with a 35pg/day reading rate, so I do plan on attempting to increase my rate to this once again. Another goal I have for next month is to finish three books, instead of the average two. Mainly because I want to finish the Harry Potter series as quickly as possible, so I’ll be able to enjoy other types of literature. Other literature I wish to indulge myself into next month include more suspenseful novels, or even some romance! I honestly do want to read a breathtaking romance, as I believe that you can never get enough. However, I do also have The Samurai’s Tale on my list to read next month, so we’ll see what happens!

November 2020 Reading Ladder

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Rowling, J.K.: 8601404281891:  Books - Amazon.ca

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban– J. K. Rowling [346/462 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The third book is everything but bland, as we are once again immersed into the complex world of wizardry. With our favourite wizards, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, we are introduced to a very interesting third year at Hogwarts. Sirus Black is now on the lose, a murder that has successfully escaped Azkaban and is thought to be in search of something. More so, someone. So what will happen once that special someone, our beloved Harry, falls into the hands of a murderer who was once devoted to the all evil Voldemort?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban did not disappoint! I really love it, although I haven’t yet finished it, I am still enjoying the series very much. One thing I do want to add that I especially love in this novel, and an aspect that I believe makes this novel differ from the rest, has to be Professor Lupin! I love him as a character, and he is such a breath of fresh air among the professors at Hogwarts. Also, the quidditch matches are just as entertaining as ever! Forcing me to latch onto every single page waiting for the results. Though, as much as I love the quidditch matches, I am going to be very devastated once Wood graduates and leaves the team. It will be a very sad chapter, if I do say so myself. The novel is quite entertaining nonetheless, and I do enjoy taking a break from life to involve myself with the wonderful wizards at Hogwarts!

Cards on the Table: A Hercule Poirot Mystery: Amazon.ca: Christie, Agatha:  Books

Cards on the Table– Agatha Christie [288/288 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Hercule Poirot, a very pristine detective, is invited to a house party hoisted by the popular Mr. Shaitana. The eight guests mingle until they are split into two groups to play Bridge. Everyone except for the host, who preferred to sit idle by the fireplace instead. However, as the night passes with each game, Poirot’s group finishes first. The group of four return back to the main room with the other players, still on their last game. The night seemed to go very well, except for the fact that Mr. Shaitana is now dead.

To be completely frank with you, the main reason I didn’t even attempt to finish Harry Potter this month was because of this book. It was marvelous! I loved it so much, the mystery was absolutely perfect, and it was what I craved for after reading so much Harry Potter the last couple of weeks. I absolutely adored the writing style, and the mystery was so suspenseful that you were just forced to keep on reading. Hence my five star rating! I also learned that my mother had read some Agatha Christie novels herself when she was studying in university, as apparently they were very popular among the university students. Which, after completing the novel, makes perfect sense as the book was so well written, I do plan on reading more!

Reflection:

For the month of November, I ended up reading about 21 pages per day (634pg/30days=21pg/day). Last month my reading rate was 23pg/day, so this month’s rate is just a tad bit lower. I’m still proud of it, although I really want to accomplish my goal of reading more than two books a month. So to accomplish that goal, I will have to get my reading rate much higher. Thankfully, we have winter break next month, so I do plan on reading some more Harry Potter and trying my luck on some romance novels. So we’ll see what winter break has in store!

December 2020/January 2021 Reading Ladder

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban– J. K. Rowling [462/462 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

For my November reading ladder, I had also added Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but I didn’t finish the last 116 pages until around the beginning of December. So after I did finish it, I was greatly satisfied with the third book in the series. However, the dreadful departure of Professor Lupin did make me very furious- as he was defiantly my favourite Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher Hogwarts has ever had. Or even the best teacher Hogwarts even had the pleasure of hiring! Honestly, it was foreshadowed that Professor Lupin was going to resign from teaching even before the book was published, as by now we’re all familiar with the pattern of hiring and firing a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher ever year created by the author, J.K Rowling. So even though I knew it was coming, a part of me still hoped that Professor Lupin would break this cycle and stay- as his character was just so enjoyable. So because of this, I debated changing my rating from four to three and a half stars. However, I still really enjoyed and loved the third book, so I decided to keep it at four.

Death on the Nile - Agatha Christie - listen online for free

Death on the Nile– Agatha Christie [288/288 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

In Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie, we are again immersed into a murder mystery that our beloved detective, Hercule Poirot, has to solve. Mr. Poirot decides to take a very needed vacation to Egypt, so he plans his vacation getaway in hopes of taking a well needed rest in this foreign land. However, after a double murder occurs on a cruise ship going up the Nile, Hercule Poirot has to get back to work and solve this case before the ship reaches its port.

I definitely enjoyed this spectacular murder mystery! The mystery was ever so suspenseful and I loved how this story took place on a cruise in Egypt, as I had just recently finished watching a show at this time that took place in the very same location. With the similarities, this book felt very familiar as the first few chapter built upon setting. So I probably enjoyed reading this book a little bit more than most, as the setting reminded me of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures! This anime also took place in Egypt, and dealt with similar concepts of murder and justice. So I greatly enjoyed the familiarity as it reminded me of a previous experience that was ever so amazing. However, once the murders began to occur the novel, I was completely hooked and pulled into the murder mystery world instead. This novel was amazing, and I thoroughly enjoyed the suspense and excitement that came with our main characters attempting to solve this murder in pursuit of justice.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Rowling, J.K.: 8601418346777: Books -  Amazon.ca

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J. K. Rowling [102/617 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter is back at Hogwarts finishing his forth year. However, after having his name drawn from the Goblet of Fire, he is forced to complete the Triwizard Tournament. We are once again immersed into our favourite character’s journey, as we get to embark in magical adventurous in the wizard world- no matter how frightful or dangerous.

For the fourth book in the Harry Potter series, I regretfully haven’t gotten to the Triwizard Tournament yet, as I haven’t read enough of the story. Though I still find myself being sucked into one of my favourite atmospheres, and being able to experience new journeys our beloved characters have to embark. So even though I’m slightly influenced by previous biases, I do still love this book. Harry Potter novels are always a joy to read, and I’ve heard great things from friends about this novel in particular, so I’m very excited to read another breathtaking story. Because of this, I have to gave this book a three as I just haven’t experienced the spectacular parts yet. So (for now) the book is a steady three as it quickly develops the scene for the next major events.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger [107/541 pages] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Time traveler’s Wife is an excellent novel that differs from your average romance. As in this novel, the element of time traveling is also presented, keeping the reader intrigued in this very innovative concept. Henry can time travel; and as he does, he encounters his wife Claire multiple times as she matures and ages. Claire spent her whole life growing up with Henry- but Henry hasn’t experienced this yet. He hasn’t traveled back in time yet, and doesn’t know anything about his wife. Yet his wife knows everything about him. As we begin to read this novel we experience Henry’s intriguing time-traveling power as well as the encounters Henry has with Claire in all her stages of life.

I honesty wish I started reading this novel sooner! It’s already so good- and I’m only through 1/5 of the novel. I personally love the time traveling aspect, as I haven’t read much novels about it before. So this new concept was enough for me to get hooked instantly, as well as the romance- of course. However, my absolute favourite part of this incredible novel is the shifts of point-of-views. I have never read a book that has done this before, and I found it pretty fun being able to jump between both of our characters to understand their perspectives. It was really cool, and this novel was able to make such an unfamiliar writing structure so smooth and intriguing for someone who had never been exposed to it before. So far I absolutely adore this novel, and I’m more than excited to finish it!

Reflection:

For the months of December and January, I ended up reading about 19 pages per day (959pg/50days=19pg/day). Last month my reading rate was 21pg/day, so this month’s rate is a little bit lower. This was probably because of my decrease of daily reading, as I noticed that I started to slack off once school started to come to an end- as more assignments and tests started becoming due towards the end of this semester. Though I’m still proud of this goal, and I really want to do my best in keeping such a high reading rate next semester. As I have no opportunities next semester to read anything at school at all. So to accomplish my goal, I will really have to focus on completing my goal of reading at least 20 pages a day on my own- no matter what. This semester in Creative Writing really let my enjoy literature in a way I never would have imagined. I never knew reading and creating any form of writing was so fun (and such a stress reliever) so I do hope to form a permanent habit of reading. As I have barely touched the surface, and need to read at least one type of novel from every genre! Maybe some dystopian, fantasy, action or adventure? My personal goal for 2021 is to read at least 12 books this year, and I do hope I can accomplish this!

One thought on “Reading Ladder